Since '02 xBhp is different things to different people. From a close knit national community of bikers to India's only motorcycling lifestyle magazine and a place to make like-minded biker friends. Join us

Castrol Power 1

Learn & practice evasive maneuvers.

Our Partners

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KTM Duke 390 - Ownership Reviews and Experiences

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

    Originally posted by DukeDey View Post
    It is not absolutely necessary to clean it with a brush. A high pressure water jet cleans the chain good enough.

    When you are cleaning the bike yourself and don't have access to pressurised water then you can use a brush and some degreaser. I use a brush and a cloth afterwards to wipe off the muck.

    Here the svc people clean the chain with a cloth dipped in diesel and then pressurised water. Looks and feels fine.

    Sent from my GT-I9100
    sirjee, high pressure water is very detrimental to O-ring chain's health. The water can enter the seals and hasten the onset of rust hence shortening the already short life of the KTM chains.
    The hero always RIDES into the sunset!

    My Touring Logs-
    French Riviera
    https://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/38345-biking-french-riviera.html
    Scotland-
    http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/3...-3600-kms.html
    France -Normandy and Paris on the CBR
    http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/3...adventure.html
    KTM chronicles-
    http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...hronicles.html

    Comment


    • Auxiliary LED Lights on KTM 200 & 390

      Hi all,

      just wondering, for people planning to take their 390's on unlit highways and for touring is it a good idea to opt for LED Auxiliary lamps to provide more illumination than the stock bulb less going for HID headlight mods instead? The maximum consumption may vary from 6 watts to 35 watts per LED lamp. If i am correct on Duke 200 atleast the maximum power output by the alternator and the RR unit is 180 watts @ 3,000 rpm.




      Pic 1: And a horrible photoshopped version of the same on a Duke 200/390 .


      I believe with a good micro controller to adjust the intensity of light while riding on highways, this will help in clearing off the blind spots on dangerous roads and will also prevent blinding of the oncoming traffic.

      Sharing some reference videos for 390 and 200 owners here:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTv12axcBIk

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIMZB4HDpnQ

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7zw9bvAbKg


      As far as i am aware of, Hella india is one of the manufacturers of such LED auxiliary lamps.
      Your thoughts and comments on the same is welcome..


      Cheers,
      Last edited by shv18; 01-02-2014, 04:41 PM.
      A quote by a toilet, " use me well, keep me clean, i would never tell anybody whatever i have seen.." :P

      Comment


      • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

        [MENTION=63586]DukeDey[/MENTION] and [MENTION=48967]Doga[/MENTION]..I was googling abt it and there seems to be different opinions abt it....i used to wash my P220 aswell...30k later i didnt face any problems...

        Comment


        • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

          I have booked Duke 390 on 1st Jan

          Do you guys have any PDI list for 390, which I should go through during delivery ?

          Do you guys check the bike only during delivery or even before it's sent to RTO for registration ? any thing else to look out for ? mileage on the bike ?

          Thanks in advance
          My SBK video

          http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=OuajDeD2RC0

          Comment


          • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

            Originally posted by Samy View Post
            I have booked Duke 390 on 1st Jan

            Do you guys have any PDI list for 390, which I should go through during delivery ?

            Do you guys check the bike only during delivery or even before it's sent to RTO for registration ? any thing else to look out for ? mileage on the bike ?

            Thanks in advance
            http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorcyc...ml#post1017126
            BENEATH THE REMAINS.........
            Instagram - chaosaddict666 (follow for atypical uploads on heavy metal, bikes, alcohol, chakna, life, fashion yada, yada)
            YouTube - chaosaddict666 (Disclaimer: crappiest uploads ever, viewer discretion is advised)

            Comment


            • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

              Originally posted by Samy View Post
              I have booked Duke 390 on 1st Jan

              Do you guys have any PDI list for 390, which I should go through during delivery ?

              Do you guys check the bike only during delivery or even before it's sent to RTO for registration ? any thing else to look out for ? mileage on the bike ?

              Thanks in advance
              The PDI is a joke when KTM is considered. I have been one among the sufferers. In my case, it was a loose oil drain plug, an unfastened battery band, a broken mirror clamp and a missing tool kit.
              As you are aware of the terrible PDI job, make sure to check some things such as
              1. ODO reading ( KTM won't do extensive test run as many dealers say. I got the bike with 5km on the ODO)
              2. Chain slack and lubrication as most of us got chains dry like desert sand
              3. paint job for any scratches
              4. All the connectors that's visible (There is one under the seat for plugging the diagnostic device and should be left unconnected)
              5. The reflector (crack)at the tail end and the whole fender assembly for excessive shaking
              6. Switches and controls for smooth operation and desired result
              7. Brake and clutch and gear lever play
              8. Check all bolts and the oil level
              9. The coolant level. (In my case, it was at the minimum level)
              10. closely check all plastic parts for any breakage as its quite possible to happen in transit or during unloading or from over aggressive PDI by the dealer
              11. Check the tool kit, FA kit and remember to collect user manual
              12. Download the user manual online from KTM website and go through it well before going to the dealer for delivery.
              13. Check the fuel level and refuel at the earliest (Keep in mind the octane ratings, 91 minimum)
              14. Ride out before the KTM guys say ''get out''. I am one among them who got to hear congrats (I watered my eyes)

              Close the visor and keep the big. I may have missed many things and contributions to the list are welcome
              If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on.

              Comment


              • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                junaid,you are definitely not alone here.I'm finally having my engine replaced sometime this week.almost a month of fighting with the dealer and KTM.in the meantime god knows what abuse they have done to my bike.scratched here and there.
                ๔ยкє ҭђгєє ภเภєҭұ เภ ๓ұ שєเภร

                Comment


                • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                  Originally posted by timuseravan View Post
                  [MENTION=56912]junaid12345678[/MENTION] , [MENTION=63555]kkamaleshh[/MENTION] , [MENTION=23956]Legend Racer[/MENTION] so it seems the shifting improves after around 2k KM.

                  Do you have any specific technique for shifting gears? I have tried the pre-load gear lever method with mixed results.
                  Per my experience the thud is getting worse and worse with increasing km. So instead of enjoying the rides, I am dreading hearing the thuds
                  Wait for another two or three k kms or second service it will become much smoother. After 7-7.5k kms it will be much smoother. Im telling this with the experience in duke200 which I owned for good 13k kms. So don't worry. My only issue is the rattling noise , vibrating sound from left hand side of the tank around 3k rpm.

                  Sent from my ST18i using xBhp Connect mobile app

                  Comment


                  • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                    [QUOTE=kkamaleshh;1025099 Im telling this with the experience in duke200 which I owned for good 13k kms.

                    Sent from my ST18i using xBhp Connect mobile app[/QUOTE]

                    200 and 390 are 2 different worlds... BTW are you sure about gearbox in both?

                    ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

                    kill me... 2 guys came and inspected bike when it was parked near my office. conversation between them, you see, it got no name, no brand name that we have seen like bajaj or yamaha. this is a china bike, hardly Rs 40000. owner painted it funny too. china will ruin india with such products.

                    BTW after 1st service, i calculated FE, just 26 km/lt.. before i used to get 30,32,34... they had said to clear starting issues they did some valve clearances...
                    I'm a responsible rider.It doesn't matter what you ride,but what matters is how you ride.

                    Comment


                    • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                      Originally posted by Legend Racer View Post
                      200 and 390 are 2 different worlds... BTW are you sure about gearbox in both?

                      ----consecutive posts auto-merged-----

                      kill me... 2 guys came and inspected bike when it was parked near my office. conversation between them, you see, it got no name, no brand name that we have seen like bajaj or yamaha. this is a china bike, hardly Rs 40000. owner painted it funny too. china will ruin india with such products.

                      BTW after 1st service, i calculated FE, just 26 km/lt.. before i used to get 30,32,34... they had said to clear starting issues they did some valve clearances...

                      Simply laugh off such comments...

                      You will be also hearing that it sounds like a diesel engine n all crap...

                      Comment


                      • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                        Originally posted by Legend Racer View Post

                        BTW after 1st service, i calculated FE, just 26 km/lt.. before i used to get 30,32,34... they had said to clear starting issues they did some valve clearances...
                        Cribbing for fe if you own a 390 is a sin. Even expecting is a sin. 26 is still too good.
                        I got 16 once and usually its between 20-25.

                        Sent from my GT-I9100
                        Why 2wheels over 4.....
                        Its because 'Whatever it is, it's better in the wind!'

                        Comment


                        • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                          Originally posted by junaid12345678 View Post
                          The PDI is a joke when KTM is considered. I have been one among the sufferers. In my case, it was a loose oil drain plug, an unfastened battery band, a broken mirror clamp and a missing tool kit.
                          As you are aware of the terrible PDI job, make sure to check some things such as
                          1. ODO reading ( KTM won't do extensive test run as many dealers say. I got the bike with 5km on the ODO)
                          2. Chain slack and lubrication as most of us got chains dry like desert sand
                          3. paint job for any scratches
                          4. All the connectors that's visible (There is one under the seat for plugging the diagnostic device and should be left unconnected)
                          5. The reflector (crack)at the tail end and the whole fender assembly for excessive shaking
                          6. Switches and controls for smooth operation and desired result
                          7. Brake and clutch and gear lever play
                          8. Check all bolts and the oil level
                          9. The coolant level. (In my case, it was at the minimum level)
                          10. closely check all plastic parts for any breakage as its quite possible to happen in transit or during unloading or from over aggressive PDI by the dealer
                          11. Check the tool kit, FA kit and remember to collect user manual
                          12. Download the user manual online from KTM website and go through it well before going to the dealer for delivery.
                          13. Check the fuel level and refuel at the earliest (Keep in mind the octane ratings, 91 minimum)
                          14. Ride out before the KTM guys say ''get out''. I am one among them who got to hear congrats (I watered my eyes)

                          Close the visor and keep the big. I may have missed many things and contributions to the list are welcome
                          Apart from the above checklist by junaid

                          - Check for fork boots
                          - Check for the standard knuckle guards (They usually remove them while transporting)
                          - Check the brake oil level (The front one might not be visible as generally they fill it up to the top...)
                          - Check for any scratches or cracks on the rims
                          - Check the handle alignment
                          - Check the tyre pressure (The default one is too high.. my bike had 37 at rear and 33 at front)

                          Enjoy the beast, get to know the bike well and then ride hard...

                          Comment


                          • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                            Originally posted by Doga View Post
                            sirjee, high pressure water is very detrimental to O-ring chain's health. The water can enter the seals and hasten the onset of rust hence shortening the already short life of the KTM chains.
                            It might be a fact but from what I have experienced on 3 different bikes. A pulsar 200, r15 and a duke 200, washing the chain at the svc and then proper lubing did the job just fine.

                            Although for cleaning myself, as mentioned, I use a brush and a cloth thereafter to wipe the muck. Then some motul chain lube and I am set.

                            Sent from my GT-I9100
                            Why 2wheels over 4.....
                            Its because 'Whatever it is, it's better in the wind!'

                            Comment


                            • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                              [MENTION=23956]Legend Racer[/MENTION], mine's been referred to as a caterpillar. looks like a caterpillar they said?!and here I was thinking my bike looked cool like the transformers movie autobots due to the sharp angles.hey, women seem to like the loud colours oddly.
                              ๔ยкє ҭђгєє ภเภєҭұ เภ ๓ұ שєเภร

                              Comment


                              • Re: KTM Duke 390 - Owners Reviews and Experiences

                                Hi guys, I will be getting a 390 tomorrow, have searched a bit here and there about parts and availibility and found it quite okay for now(not on xbhp though). How has the experience with maintenance and the parts availibility for you guys till now?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X